- Written by Cynthia Presser
Layers of fish and vegetables slow-cooked in coconut milk. Tastes so good you will have to try it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces white fish (cod, seabass)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash, finely sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, finely sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1 can (13 ounces) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
Coat a large casserole pan with the olive oil and layer the fish on the bottom; sprinkle salt and pepper. Over the fish, spread the potatoes evenly and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer onions evenly, and then the carrots; sprinkle salt and pepper. Layer zucchini, and then the yellow squash; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer the tomatoes, and then top with the yellow bell peppers; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix coconut milk, vegetable broth, and the paprika. Whisk until it is all incorporated.
Pour the coconut sauce all over casserole, close the lid and place over high heat. When it starts to boil turn heat down to medium-low, tilt lid, and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft but still holding their shape.
Remove from heat and top with green onions and cilantro.
Serve over a bed of brown basmati rice.
You can adapt this recipe to your preferences. For example, you can serve it without the rice (somewhat like a soup) and recmove the potatoes from the recipe for the low-carb life style. Or you can serve it with brown rice - for the health conscious, south beach diet followers out there... Or just serve it over a bed of delicious white jasmine rice, and indulge!
I would recommend a good bottle of chardonnay to go along with this meal since the coconut milk makes it so buttery.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 13.9 g
Cholesterol 15.2 mg
Sodium 275.9 mg
Potassium 579.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 10.9 g